Denver Lawyers Representing You after Serious Motor Vehicle Accidents
Skilled legal assistance since 1979
Every year, motor vehicle accidents kill more than 400 people in Colorado. Thousands more sustain serious injuries. If this has happened to you or a loved one, you may be confused about your rights and the process of asserting a claim. At Lampert & Walsh, LLC, motor vehicle accidents represent more than 90 percent of our practice. Our knowledgeable attorneys can assess the insurance company’s offer, help you obtain medical treatment, and give you our honest evaluation about your rights and the level of compensation you might expect. Generally, motor vehicle cases have a three year statute of limitations, so it’s best to start preparing your case as quickly as possible.
Liability issues in Denver motor vehicle accidents
Liability is a legal responsibility to compensate a victim based on fault for having caused an accident. A driver who is found liable must pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, accidents are complex and often the victim is made to bear some responsibility — and the court reduces the victim’s compensation accordingly. Under Colorado’s modified comparative fault statute, a victim who is found at least 50 percent at fault for an accident is barred from collecting anything.
Experience with various types of motor vehicle accidents
We have been helping Coloradans recover from vehicle accidents for more than 35 years. Our experience covers a wide range of accidents and their causes, including:
- ATV rollovers — Unqualified operators, alcohol use and excessive speed over treacherous terrain all contribute to dangerous accidents.
- Boating accidents — Alcohol is a major contributing factor in boat accidents on CO lakes.
- Car accidents — Driver distractions, such as cellphone use and texting, can be just as dangerous as alcohol use.
- Motorcycle accidents — Riders are at greater risk to injury since their bodies are unprotected.
- Pedestrian-related accidents — Inattentive drivers, nighttime conditions and pedestrian carelessness can lead to serious and fatal accidents.
- Truck accidents — Major factors include driver fatigue, aggressive driving and distractions, such as cellphone use, along with equipment failures.
No matter the facts of your traffic accident, you can rely on our attorneys to investigate fully and represent your interests aggressively.
Insurance requirements in Colorado
Like every other state, Colorado requires licensed drivers to maintain a minimum level of liability insurance. In case of an accident, a driver must carry:
- Bodily injury liability — $25,000 per person and a total of $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability — $15,000 per occurrence
These limits are far below anticipated losses for a serious car, motorcycle or truck accident. It is prudent to carry four times that much coverage. It is also prudent to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, in case an uninsured driver hits you.
Contact our Denver motor vehicle accident attorney to assert your claim
If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, let one of our experienced personal injury attorneys evaluate your claim free of charge. Lampert & Walsh, LLC works on a contingency fee basis, so we don’t charge legal fees unless we obtain an agreed upon settlement or jury verdict for you. Call us today at 720-829-4880 or contact our Denver office online.