Our Blog

Do I need a DUI Attorney if it’s Not My Fault?

Car Ring

There’s a lot of confusion when it comes to car accidents. There’s a lot of “rules” floating around about what to do and what to not do just after an accident, who to call, and what information to give. It’s complicated enough as it is, but things become even more complex when a drunk driver is factored into the equation. Accidents caused by drunk driving are unfortunately common and they can create a whole new wrinkle in the legal framework of your case.

You know the drill by this point, you don’t admit fault in an accident, ever, and drunk drivers are a big reason why. Even if maybe you were the one crossing traffic or the situation would otherwise objectively put you at fault, someone driving under the influence changes things and changes the nature of the accident and the case. So, what do you do if you’re in an accident with a drunk driver and how do you go about getting compensated? You get a Denver DUI attorney.

What To Do First

First and foremost, you get medical attention. Check yourself after an accident, check other members of your car, and check the other driver and their passengers. Call for medical help if you need it and seek further help as necessary. It tends to be best to call for help, even if injuries seem minor. You have no idea how bad something can get, especially if you’ve sustained even a minor head injury. Before you do anything, get yourself medical attention.

How to Determine If the Driver Was Drunk

When you get in an accident, you have to fill out a police report. Your insurance uses police reports to put together information about the claim. So, when police show up on the scene, they’ll be able to tell quickly if a driver was drunk and perform the necessary tests. If you suspect the driver was drunk, do not confront the other driver, wait for the police to show up to handle the situation. When they confirm the driver was intoxicated, make sure it goes into the report, you’re going to need that information later.

Should I Get a Lawyer?

Yes. Lawyers aren’t just there to defend you in situations where it was your fault, they exist to get you justice. The drunk driver needs to be held accountable. While they’ll certainly get points on a license, a hefty fine, or maybe more if this wasn’t their first offense, you don’t want to be paying a medical bill they’re responsible for. If you were injured in the accident, your best way to pay off medical bills is to sue the drunk driver. This requires a lawyer and one specifically learned in car accidents and criminal law. That’s where we can come in.

Lampert and Walsh is Denver’s premiere car accident firm and we want to help you get the money you deserve from a DUI accident.

Let Us Help You

Contact Us